The printer settings of Windows 10 allow the users to set default printer which means to choose an option that which printer should be used as the default. This default printer will receive the document for printing when you click on the Print button without explicitly choosing your printer to execute printing tasks. In other words, the default printer is the device to which all the printing jobs are sent by default unless the specific device is mentioned. This guide will show you how you can set default printer in your Windows 10 device to execute the printing commands without any hassle.
There are different options available to set default printer windows 10 as mentioned below:
- Let Windows Manage the Default Printer.
- Set the Default Printer in Settings.
- Set the Default Printer in Control Panel.
- Set the Default Printer in Command Prompt.
Option 1 – Let the Windows Manager Default Printer
You can simply turn on the ‘Let Windows Manage My Default Printer’ option and the Windows will automatically set the printer to its default printer settings and it will use the default printer whenever you print the documents.
Option 2 – Set the Default Printer in Settings.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ and click on the ‘Devices’ icon.
- Click on the ‘Printers and Scanners’ option present on the left side. Uncheck ‘Let Windows Manage My Default printer’ if the option is checked.
- Click on the printer that you want to set as a default printer. After that, click on the ‘Manage’ button.
- Click on the ‘Set Default printer’ button.
- Now, you will be set as the default printer for Windows 10.
- Close the settings.
Option 3 – Set Default Printer in Control Panel
- Go to the ‘Control Panel’ and click on the ‘Devices and Printer’ icon.
- Right-click on the printer you want to be set as Default printer Windows 10.
- In case you have turned on the ‘Let Windows Manage My Default printer’ option then click ‘Ok’ for the confirmation.
- Now, your printer will be set as the default printer.
- If you want, you can close the ‘Devices and Printers’ window.
Option 4 – Set the Default Printer in the Command Prompt
- Open ‘Command Prompt’.
- Copy and paste the command we have mentioned below in your command prompt and hit the enter button. Make a note of the name of your printer( for example – HPColor LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL 6), that you want to set default printer in your Windows 10 device.
Command – wmic printer get name, default
Important – The default printer you have set presently will show the ‘True’ in default column present to the left of the printer name.
- Type the command in the command prompt and hit the enter button.
Command – wmic printer where name=”printer name” call setdefaultprinter
Note- You can substitute the name of the printer in the command above with the actual printer name. For example – (“HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL 6”) from step 2 you want to set as the default printer.
Here is the example “wmic printer where name=”HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL 6″ call set default printer”.
- Close the command prompt.
This way you can set Default printer in Windows 10 device using the different options. All the mentioned guidelines are very simple, but if you still find yourself stuck in the process, you can visit the printer manufacturer’s official website for help.